Elder Ryker Lance Dattage
Though Ryker didn't get to serve in the exact mission that he had anticipated, he is certainly a missionary. South Dakota sure would have been lucky to have had him there in his physical body, but since that wasn't the Lord's plan for him, we know he will be helping out missionaries there as a spiritual being.
Elder Dattage is now serving as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the After-Life mission where those who weren't blessed with the knowledge of the gospel on Earth can finally be given the light and truth of Jesus Christ.
Elder Dattage is also serving as a missionary here. I attended his funeral this afternoon, and my goodness. I had always thought so highly of him, but hearing stories from so many of his loved ones sure helped me realize that what I knew of him was only the icing on the cake. What I knew of Elder Dattage was that he loved people. In a seminary class I had with him during our senior year, we had another student in our class who was a somewhat difficult student. This student had a wonderful heart, but had a disability that led him to have many outbursts. He didn't usually have a filter, and it was often difficult to keep the spirit near in our classroom. Elder Dattage took this as an opportunity to love this student. Without fail, Elder Dattage always sat next to this student and helped engage him in an appropriate way. If Ryker was there, we knew class would run much smoother and we would be able to feel the spirit more because he would be able to influence this student to help feel the spirit and only speak uplifting things. He just loved people and that's what was made very clear at his funeral.
I'm one of many who can probably say that I wish I had spent more time with Elder Dattage before his departure. This has just made me realize how incredible every human being is. If we take the time to get to know each person, we can come to understand how wonderful they are. But if we only allow ourselves to see what's on the surface… well then… we sure do miss out on some unforgettable and touching experiences.
So, as his mother said today, let's all live "the Ryker way". Let's love people and not concern ourselves with rushing to get to our many errands or putting checkmarks on our to-do lists. Let's live in a way that makes others feel comfortable around us, where we influence people to have fun and love rather than to stress about the many tasks around us. I sure hope I can remember the special spirit I have felt today and the inspirational lessons I've learned. I have changes that need to be made in my life, and I hope I'm not the only one who feels that way.
Ryker will live forever in our hearts and minds. I hope he will watch over me and remind me and you, when we need to be reminded, to live "the Ryker way".
See ya later Elder Dattage! No luck needed out there because you know your stuff and you're ready to be a missionary! That must be why you headed out a little early. You just couldn't wait to share with others! Thanks for the light you leave here for us to follow.
Love love love!! :)
ReplyDeleteI love this!!!:)
ReplyDelete