Monday, October 27, 2014

Elder Kyle Jensen

Well, this week I'm two months in country! Haha, time is such a crazy thing, I hate thinking about it so that's all I will say haha. Stemming from conference, I had a really sincere interest in acting on helping the meek and lowly, the poor in spirit because it was expounded and exhorted pretty hard from conference. A special experience I had last week dealt with listening to the spirit and helping the meek and the lowly. We were walking down the streets of Anseong and stopped to talk to a guy selling some dried snacks. These snacks looked less than appetizing and were expensive for snacks. Anyway, while talking I had an urge, a thought that seemed good to buy these snacks from this guy. At first I thought, "Hey this guy needs some extra help with money, so I'll buy some snacks from him." That may have been the case, but Heavenly Father had another idea in mind too. I bought these snacks, really not knowing why, going off on what I thought was good. Later as we were returning home for dinner, I saw an elderly Korean man with a walker. Again, I didn't think much at first as we were passing him, but then the Spirit started shooting thoughts into my head. I stopped in my tracks, and realized I needed to give that bag of snacks to the man I saw. I immediately took the bag to him, without saying much other than, "Do you like snacks," handed the bag to him and went my way. I'm not totally sure what God had in mind for him, but God needed me to bless that man. I had an instant surge of warmth enter my heart, which was the reaffirming feeling of the Spirit, testifying to me I had fulfilled something that God had in mind that day for that man. I am incredibly thankful that I can live my life to feel the influence of the Spirit; it's something I always want and am willing to sacrifice much for.
Another fun activity we're incorporating each week to our proselyting efforts is bread jeondoeing haha ^^ There's this bread lady that sells super good bread for really cheap and so we buy some of this bread and trust in the Lord to guide us to people that need the bread that day. It's always confirming when people accept the bread, or any other gift or food for that matter. Korean ettiquette for accepting stuff is to always always always deny it at first haha, but if the person persists that you take it, you NEED to take it or you will hurt their kibun, which is pretty much like a feeling type of conscience, there's no english translation for the word. Anyway, through this activity it's been super awesome to find people in need of this bread and to tell them a little bit about what we foreign missionaries are doing in Korea haha.
We met a Chinese person the other day, and he ended up turning into a potential investigator. We met with him the first time, and that's when we found out he was Chinese haha, he looked and spoke so much like a Korean. Anyway, finding him came from talking to everyone. They don't have that in PMG for nothing under step 10 of the weekly planning haha. Anyway, he was genuinely nice as we first talked to him and had an interest in the book we carried around. It's quite amazing to me how God blesses us so freely, and I'm glad I get to take place in these small miracles.
Had zone conference this week as well and oh boy, that was super exciting. It's like a mini general conference specified for our zone haha. Our president, President Morrise, is an incredible man of God. I love to talk to him and tell him about what's going on, and he's genuinely considerate about everyone. Anyway, this conference we changed some pretty big things, mainly dealing with our key indicator goals, but anyway, the goal of the conference was for us to LIVE BY THE SPIRIT. There's a talk we read in preparation for this conference called, Receive the Holy Ghost by David A. Bednar. People, if you want a spiritual uplifter and ideas to act and receive the Spirit better, I strongly EXHORT and of course, INVITE you to find it, read it, and apply what he has to say. Without the Holy Ghost, we cannot gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father, without the Holy Ghost, we cannot know the Father's will for us, thereby we can't know all things. The spirit is the foundation for the best learning, in spiritual growth and day to day knowledge. Living by the Spirit is required for us to live righteously and one day coming to live with God again. So like I said last week, if you don't have a goal to invite the Spirit into your lives each day, DO IT! Write it down and put some action and effort into it. I know without a doubt it will individually bless your life AND you will gain joy from blessing the lives of others who needs God's blessings. The most joy I've experienced so far on my mission is being able to be His hands. I make mistakes, I get discouraged, but through Jesus Christ and His Atonement my head is lifted up, I'm wrapped in arms of mercy and love, and I get to continue in the work, doing the Father's will. tHat's one thing that really stood out to me this week in my studies is realizing that Christ was a perfect being because He perfectly knew what our Heavenly Father wanted for Him. I know without a doubt when we put forward diligent sincere faith, our lives will be guided by the Holy Ghost and we can feel joy like we've never experienced before. I want all of you to feel that joy as well, so please, do something everyday to invite and maintain the Spirit in your life. Love you guys! ^^

Elder Jensen

P.S. I ate some squid this week in some sort of Korean food haha. Pretty chewy, nothing too gross though ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment