ohhh my goodness!! this week was by far the most eventful week of my entire mission. haha soo much happened, so I'm starting off with a warning...this will be a little longer than previous emails haha. I'm going to go day by day because it'll make better sense in my brain :)
Monday: Man, such a great P-day...I honestly can't remember what we did haha, but I remember we cut it short to go teach this little girl named Jackie. She's the daughter of an amazing less active named Ciria (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned her before). We wanted to start formally teaching her for a couple reasons. 1-to encourage the informal teaching we heard about in General Conference, and 2-because she really doesn't know anything. We asked her if she knew anything about what Christ did on the earth when He was here and she didn't. She's 8. We started at the very very beginning and explained things that adults all over here in the south knew. When Ciria saw that her daughter didn't know these things, it sparked a sense of responsibility in her and she knew that she needed to step it up as a mom too. The lesson was amazing :) The spirit and humility of children is really something we need to adopt (obviously, it's all over the scriptures..). So man...that lesson was definitely one to remember and reflect back on :) Monday was a great day :)
Tuesday: haha man...tuesday... oh goodness. K, so we had a recently graduated girl come out with us on tuesday. We had planned to have her for two hours, but the entire two hours were spent knocking on empty houses. No one was home. It was one of those lovely days where it feels like a zombie apocalypse came through and wiped off the entire face of the earth. haha with like 10 minutes left, we were on the way to drop her off at her place when we decided to go try to contact this referral one more time. This woman had gone onto Mormon.org and requested a bible, but this was weeks ago and we had spent so much time trying to contact her with no success...we had tried earlier that day, but after no answer, we considered just leaving the bible on the doorstep. Sister Anderson suggested maybe trying one more time on another day. Well that day was this day apparently. We knocked and she invited us in and gave us water! Upon sitting down with her, she starts off by explaining that her cousin married a mormon and they had been brought up catholic...so she was wondering the difference between the two. She is the most elect I've seen anyone after the first lesson :) Man, she's just so cool and it turns out that she is actually no longer in the catholic church. Everything we told her just made sense to her...she told us so! After the lesson, she agreed to be baptized :) and then she proceded to tell us all about her 5 boys and their lives and pretty much loves us haha she is looking forward to us coming back to see her this week! Emberly (the girl with us) absolutely loved the whole experience and has decided to put in her papers to serve a mission :) overall a great lesson :)
haha something else happened on Tuesday as well...man this was hilarious.. haha k so we were driving in these subdivisions (they're all over the place here! I could never live in one...). This one happened to be the most confusing of them all and I thought I knew where we were going, but I apparently didn't. We ended up on this road that was still under construction as we pulled up to this intersection. There were trucks and Mexican workers on both sides with their air hoses and stuff stretched across the road, similar to the hose stretched across the driveway at home when you're watering your lawn. Apparently they're a little different though. As we are rolling across this hose, we heard a POP and a gush of air...my initial reaction was *GASP*.......uh oh......the workers on the right side of the car started yelling much spanish and running to us. haha I was like, "shoot...we popped a tire and these guys are getting mad at us for stopping in the middle of their construction." Well then I looked to my left and see an end of the hose flying around like those water sprinklers you play with on the lawn. Air was going everywhere. haha the workers on this side were scrambling to restrain the hose. My next thoughts were "......shoot. I broke their hose and now I'll get my license taken away, I'll never be able to drive again, and man...this just sucks." haha I roll my window down and yell at one of the workers who was working on holding the hose steady. My shouts consisted of many "I'm sorry!!!!" 's and stuff.. haha I pullled over to the side and he came to talk to me after his buddy grabbed the hose. I said "I am so so sorry.." haha he waved his hands and said "It's ok it's ok! We weren't supposed to put it there anyway!!" haha thank goodness!!! I said " Is it broken!?" after a seconds hesitation, he said "eh....we can fix it!" haha man I felt so bad! So we gave him a pass along card with our number on it and mentioned that he should call us if we need to pay for something. We also through out that there's a great website on the back of the card that he needed to check out. Wanna know a cool thing? He's been texting us questions about the church ever since :) haha he technically lives an hour away in South Carolina, but hey. He's lost and it's our job to help him :) ....even if we did break his hose. haha
Wednesday: We had a chance to do some great service. Ciria has endometriosis in so many parts of her, and it was giving her lotsa problems this day. She called us over and upon going over there, we realized she wasn't up to feeding herself. So what do we do? We do what any sisters from utah and idaho would do. We go to the store and get a bunch of ingredients and make her Hawaiian Haystacks :) She had never heard of them before, and she loved them! She's mexican and always makes us delicious mexican food, so this was a great service we could do for her :)
Thursday: Stupid pink-eye came back...urgh.
Friday: We took a great member out with us to Wrens, a little city about 30 minutes south of us, to contact anther referral from mormon.org. We ended up getting 3 new investigators :) They loved the message we have and want to learn more! The awesome part was that we could barely understand them! They are so deeply-rooted southern black ! haha it was like Valdosta again! :) Man, it made me feel at home. haha it was so great :)
Saturday!!!!!!: :) :) Was a great day :) Haha it started off with the Oliver Hardy festival! For those of you who don't know (and don't feel bad if you don't, because I didn't either), Oliver Hardy was a famous comedian way back when. And he was born and raised in Harlem :) So every first saturday in October, they through a huge festival for him. Apparently 4-5,000 people showed up in little Harlem :) with its one stoplight haha. Man!!! There was a parade and everything! For those of you who don't know me, I absolutely love parades and fairs and anything with people :) So I was pretty dang happy all day :) haha there were booths lining the entire main street and soo many people. It made for great contacting too :) PLUS it was conference!!! And man, I could spend forever on conference, but I won't because believe it or not, there's MORE craziness to this week! Saturday night, we were going home at the end of the day...the light in our stairwell of the apartment is out, so it gets pretty dark at night. haha well, we go up the stairs to our door and I stick the key in and turn. Well, apparently only half of the key got the memo to turn, because the next thing I know, I'm holding half of our key in my hand. It broke! In half!!! I pulled the other half out of the lock, and kind of freak out a little bit. haha Sister Anderson didn't believe me when I told her that it broke! So I took her down to the car and after she saw it with her own eyes, we sat there for a minute trying to decide what to do. All the men are in priesthood session! Haha so we call Sister Cottle and she gives us permission to stay with the Grovetown sisters for the night :) soo we had a SLUMBER PARTY!!!! yesssss haha it was very very great :) except for the part where we had to wear the same clothes the next day...they were gross from the fair and stuff...blech. Saturday was very eventful :) we never got a hold of our landlord...still haven't. For all of you who are thinking you're genuises and are telling me to just card into the house....it's a dead bolt lock. No carding in will be done. I could've kicked it, but I didn't think that'd be appropriate for a sister ;)
Sunday: Conference again!!!!!!! We show up in the same clothes as saturday...ew. haha after the first session, there was a member that had the brilliant idea to stick the part of the key in the lock and use plyers to open it! Well, this genius brother's idea worked! We got in!! The bishop was there with us and he took our lock and broken key to a locksmith to replace it :) So that fixed that problem...thank goodness!!! And I absolutely loved conference...so many favorites talks :) but I'll talk about those some other time...
Monday: Yes...this is today....we've already had an interesting experience today...at about 2:30 in the morning. I'll let my comp tell this story...this is an excerpt from her email this week:
"This Morning: 2:30 am i wake up to this really annoying beeping. so i finally figure out that its the carbon monoxide detector. so i push a button on it and we think i got it to stop, but then it goes again. so i take it off the wall and read on the back what to do if the alarm sounds. 1) push the reset button (did that) 2) call 911 immediately (didnt do that) 3) get by fresh air, either outside or by an open window. i took it over to the window and open it up. well its still beeping. so then i read the difference in the alarm and just low battery. we figured out it was low battery so i took that out."
haha the rest of the night we slept peacefully :) This morning we wake up and I'm looking at the detector...haha I read the part where it says to get by fresh air and it dawned on me....I bust up laughing and call her into the room. I say "You know when it says to get by fresh air? Haha I'm pretty sure it means for us to get to fresh air, not the detector!" haha it was hiliarous how much time she spent holding that thing by the window, but at 2:30 in the morning, all we cared about was making the beeping stop! And if we had to put it by fresh air to do it, so be it! haha oh man as she said: "apparently Heavenly Father isn't ready for us to come home yet ;)" haha man.
so that's it for my crazy week! I'll let y'all go now, but take a sec and ask yourself...where are you facing? :)
Love you!
Sister Hannah Walker
the key...pathetic
us with the wagstaffs at the parade :)
a ward member making his famous kettle corn and funnellcakes! his line was miles long!



No comments:
Post a Comment