Monday, September 1, 2014

Oh boy do I have a lot to say. Had a pretty crazy last week and a half. So we can start from the plane ride haha...
Our plane ride to the Incheon airport was 11 hours which was actually a relieft because we were all thinking it was about a 15 hour plane ride haha. Anyway, the only thing I learned from that experience is that I cannot sleep on planes at all... It was kind of miserable, but bearable. What was even harder though is that each seat is equipped with a tablet in front of you. Satan was already trying to beat me up... After our flight we met the our mission president: President Morrise! Him and Sister Morrise are fantastic. These people are truly called of God to specific places. I found out today that The Korea Seoul South Misson was only opened in 2013. Anyway, after meeting the President we had our first challenge. They gave each of us a Book of Mormon and a card to use the subways, and on our way to the mission home we had to try and place a Book of Mormon. Oh boy, if you don't know me I'm a really timid person and something like this put me way out of my comfort place, not to mention I hardly know the language haha. I surprised myself on the way to the mission home and had 3 conversations with some Koreans. I was really blessed to talk with a guy the first time who was really patient with me and speaking the language. We talked about where he was going, a little about family, and he even asked about the Book of Mormon. He truly listened to what I had to say, and even though he didn't want to keep the BoM I offered him, he will be a person I'll remember as a first experience of talking with someone in Korea. I do have to say that I've already fell in love with the people in Korea. They are some of the most incredible people I've met. Their kindness is astounding, and their hearts are pure. Yes, there are always people who are stubborn, grumpy, rash, and mean. But as a whole these are people that are so distinguished from the rest of the world and I have such an opportuinity and blessing to share something incredibly special with them. Once we got to the mission home we had some instructions and orientations for that night and the next day. Let me tell you. That first day was SO hard. When we finally retired to bed, half of the missionaries hadn't changed and had past out on their pads on the floor. A lot of that had to do with the fact we hadn't slept for 30 plus hours, but still, this work is hard. I do have to say that the first day was a huge slap to the face. I didn't realize how hard this adventure is going to be. I still don't know how hard it's going to be. Satan was trying to kill me the past week, he tried so hard and even got to me sometimes with discouragement. But fortunately I have God on my side, I have Christ on my side, and I can have the Spriit. And with those three factors I can do the impossible. I love the quote that went something like, "Impossible: the word itself says, 'I'm possible.'" God sent us here to do the impossible, to be the medium by which he blesses His children with miracles. If your faith is starting to quiver, seek God out, cry unto him with EVERYTHING you have and put your trust in Him. Only through this way will he support us. A God of mercy, a God of love, and a God of supreme intelligence; we can see these characteristics until AFTER the trial of our faith.
Sunday was a really fun day as well. I got to go to the branch I'll be serving with! But a little sad thing. This branch only has about 20 active member out of 50. BUT. The people I met are amazing. I had the opportunity to introduce myself in sacrament meeting and bear my testimony and that was pretty great. Yet another experience putting me out of my comfort zone. Goodness, being here in Korea, finally being in the minority, is something way our of my comfort zone haha. Before our sacrament meeting, I had my first lesson too haha. But, it was in English. Surprisingly enough, there's quite a few people here in Korea who know English. It makes sense becuase they start learning it in Elementary, but depending if they put effort in to really learn it is if they become fluent, just like any language. So the first lesson I helped teach wasn't bad, but I'll be looking forward to my first Korean lesson haha.
Anyway, I'm going all over the place but I'm serving in a place called Anseong. It's a more rural part of Korea, but don't get confused when I say rural. It's not like Cache Valley rural. There's still big buildings, small streets everywhere and I would get lost after 2 corners away from my apartment haha. Speaking of my apartment, it's just me and my companion there on the top floor (6). We're really spoiled becuase we're like the only people with air conditioning. The bathroom, sink, and shower is all one 5x5 room with just a detachable shower head. We have a washer and no dryer, lots of people never have dryers. Near in our area there are actually mountains too! But not big Utah mountains haha. I'll see if I can throw on a couple pictures. The city is really interesting. Downtown there's always K-pop music on. The streets aren't really every crowded, not that i've seen anyway, but there are still a ton of people. I could go on and on with describing, but I can just say I'm going to love it in this place. It's going to be an incredible experience. Oh, my trainer is Elder Derek Wilcox. He's from Lehi, Utah. He's a little bit shorter than me with short blonde hair so we really stick out like none other. He's an expert in the language already and he's only a year in. I can't with to exponentially grow in the language because of him.
Oh! The food so far! I finally ate some kimchi and it's not terribly bad haha... I do have to say that it's going to take quite a bit to get used to it still. The other stuff I've had is pretty typical, kimbob, rice, noodles. Pretty typical and nothing out of the ordinary so far! I love this work. I hope you're all doing well. Once I figure out the postal system and if it's inexpensive I may be able to write letters but for the most part I'll just email for quite a while. Thanks for your support and prayers, especially this last week, I'm doing great!
~Elder Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment