Monday, September 1, 2014



Dear Everyone. I am in indonesia, right now. so thats pretty cool. but actually hot. and humid. I come out of the room we sleep in, which has the small blasting all night, and even at 6:30 get hit with this crazy wave of humididty. and then i shower, with my bucket of cold water, and feel great again, then get another way right out of the shower! it hard to belive how humid it is here!! I am in Medan! It is the third largest city in Indo. and is 70 percent christian, compared to everywhere else in Indo which is about 90 percent muslim. which you would be led to believe is filled with oppurtunities to teach and such for the church to grow but its surprising cuz the churhc has been in this city for 40 years and there is still only about 30 ish members per week, all with varying activity levels. without a doubt its a pioneering mission. Its really actually motivating, becuase all around me I see so much potential, so much. and its just a matter of figuring out these people! I need to figure out the language first thatll take a while, but Its a matter of hard work and faith, prayer and just sticking with it even in the hard times. So I am here being trained by elder barlow from bountiful utah. hes been hour 1.1 years, and hes pretty darn good. our area is huge so we ride all day for 3 appointments maybe or search for former members ect! its hard and crazy! but awesome to see everything! umm... ya! I love it here, and I have really enjoyed indonesia. here is my address if you wnat to mail me, it takes like two weeks..

Elder William Hansen
Jalan Senopati 115
Kebayoran Baru
Jakarta 12190, Indonesia

I play the piano in churhc, like its my offical calling for three months at least that I am here! Indonesians talk so fast so thats fun but ya! I am here, it is hot, tons of bugs, and ya everything is cheap! live a month on like 1.2 million rubia which is about 82 bucks!

we bike in traffic which is crazy like india traffic and tons and tons of scooter things, maybe I will wnat one after my mission. But everything is good here and Im geting to work!

Have good week! Good luck with everything!

Love ya all

Elder Hansen




Well hello everyone! how is everyone doing?? whats new with everyone? any exciting news for the missionary in indonesia??

Everything here is going swell. I would like to demoonstrate a conversation that happens about 20 times a day.

we are walking or biking or eating or doing anything.

Indonian man (almost never a woman)

"HEY MISTER!!" "HOW ARE YOU"

us "good, how are you"

him: im fine thank you, what is your name

us my name is elder hansen

him. MY NAME IS!! FROM AMERICA??? OOOOBBBAAAAMA just like that haha.

and thats like it. they also say good moring no matter what time of day it is, cuz they learning a little bit of english is school and just love using it. they say all their english so enthusiastically. and once they see we are white they sometimes refuse to use indonesian, which seems alright, cuz hey i cant speak indoesian yet, but their english is usually non understandable with their accents, but they love talking to us like that haha. and they also mumble a ton! I guess they just get excited or something, its hard to uderstand them, but Im working on it! according to elder barlow, most people here, are a lot more rude that in other cities of indonesia, like, people with just ignore us a lot, and lots of times we get stared at like we are in a zoo! but i did see white people the other day, it was a strange experience. and everytime i see the other missionaries, (pujianto and zollinger) i always think to myself, hey look its to missionaries, thats so cool! and then im like. oh wait, I live with them, and im a missionary too! then I get way pumped, cuz i get to go teach about the restored gospel!

THis week was a week of firsts, I tried a cucember for the first time cuz they are with every meal thats served at vendors and such, and i am always pretty hungry, so i have taken to eating cucumbers haha....

I also tried a delicous fruit called Rambutan google it. it looks weird, but its the best fruit ive tried here, and one of my favorites ever.

we also ate sticks. we were doing service at a non active members house, weeding and such, then some old lady walked out, mumbled "this people again" then tsk tsk tsked at us then went away, then the kid ( who went to church sunday after ten years!!) fed us some stick things that looked kinda like bamboo witha big ole leave on the end. apparently its a drug to fight diabetes, so i can only hope! they also fed us nasty fish, which tasted arlight, but it was full full full of bones the size of like hair, but it was a good day....except...when we tried durian!!! we bought two, and its like this big ole spiky ball taht you cut open and it smells so nasty...tastes like a dirty diaper...but apparently after trying it four times you learn to love it, so i will let you know how that goes!

so one of the most differnt things about here. since its a mostly muslim country, all day, every day you can here the muslim chant/prayer/singthing which is broadcasted on loud loud speakers everywhere in every city pretty much. its kinda creepy at first but now its just like. background that i can usually ignore, but some places near the mosks its louder than you can even imagine. really different for the amalga kid eh?

We commited Bang (like mister but for young guys) to baptism and he came to church so thats aweomse! its beena good week! well time for me to head! let me know if theres anything you want to here about!! have a good weekeverboyd stay safe!

Love Elder Hansen

ps: apparently in our sleep me and elder barlow had a conversation in our sleep in indoneisan like

Its hot in here

ya its dang hot here.

No comments:

Post a Comment