Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Elder Kyle Jensen

Ah, being a foreigner in Korea is awesome haha. Especially where I'm blond as well. I love walking down the streets and passing kids because they always shout "foreigners!" and laugh and giggle with their friends, it's adorable. In Korea, they start learning English about 3rd grade so it's been quite a blessing to use that aspect in missionary work. Recently there has been a big push and advancements in what we call practice lessons. Since there are many Koreans with an english interest we introduce this program our mission has established where we teach 30 minutes of english, and in return, us missionaries get to practice teaching the gospel for 30 minutes. Pretty clever huh? It's been amazing to hear stories of how people actually turn into investigators with out previously planning on doing so. They do this program with strictly an english interest, but at times, some of them playing the role of a "fake investigator" start to have real interest as we practice teaching these lessons. Not only does it help our Korean, but it's an incredible indirect way of introducing this wonderful message and gospel to the people here. Korean has been such an adventure to learn because people, most of the time, are totally more than willing to help a foreigner learn english because they really respect the effort to try. 2 of our most amazing investigators right now have been fould and lifted up through this english program and it's been quite a miracle and blessing to be a part of the work.
Don't have a lot of time but I'll share some thoughts about faith. First, I would strongly EXHORT you to seriously study and ponder the definition of faith in the Bible Dictionary. Go into it with intent to learn, receive it, and try it out, experiment!! Especially pay attention to the parts where it talks about "true faith." And a scripture to go along with that is in John 13:17, stated simply and shortly: "If ye know these things happy are ye if you do them." Happy are ye IF ye do them. As you will find from reading from the BD, that faith is exercised not only by physical action, but also mental! Both are essentially needed. I would invite you to plant a seed this week with something you know that will help you come closer to Christ, especially during the holiday season.
One other thought and amazing talk I read this week. It was a talk by Ezra Taft Benson called "Beware of Pride" Make sure you're sitting stable in a chair because it will blow you away, it;s magnificent. One quote: "Pride IS the great stumbling block to Zion." He repeats that twice, and this is one of God's ordained prophets. Just read it, that's all I can say. Read it with intent to become humble haha...
So, there's my thoughts and a little adventure of Korea recently, I'm so excited when I get to hear from you all. Enjoy the holidays coming up, and celebrate lots for me because Christmas isn't really celebrated to much here haha! ^^

Elder Jensen ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment